The other weekend when I was up on Baildon Moor to take photos of the dew on the grass I also took some photos of the fungi, lichens and plants up there. The intention was that I would upload them to flickr, add them to the Friends of Baildon Moor flickr group and perhaps link to them on the Baildon village web site nature sightings here. I then thought it was a bit silly to put the photos on flickr with Fungus 1, Fungus 2 titles.
Various attempts to use the internet to find the names of these things simply reaffirmed my ignorance.
I therefore uploaded images to ISpot and very quickly started getting responses.
What this also made me realise was that if possible I should take several photos to help with the identification even if I only intended to post 1 image to flickr.
It appears that my host was wrong in suggesting that my own IP address would result in redirects from my sites using the new IP address. CPanel is used to configure the redirect and the host server will always be referred to in the header of the email.
A bit of a waste of time and effort. Redirected emails are still being rejected by some.
I am now going to investigate using Google mail.
I have now installed Tweet This so that I can Tweet about a new posting here if I want to. It also adds a Tweet This link to the post so that others can Tweet about it if they want. The extended options also allow many other social media sites to be added. I have enabled facebook.
My web sites are hosted on a shared hosting server and it sometimes gets blacklisted by various monitoring systems. The different monitoring companies result in different organisations rejecting emails sent by the server. The host has tried giving a different IP address to outgoing email and that works for a while but redirects set up on the server use the server IP address this has led to rejects for email from baildonmoor.org.
Hopefully that is now a thing of the past. I now have my own IP address for the accounts within my control. With a bit of luck that means that it will not get blacklisted unless sites within my control start doing silly things.
I have occasionally swapped back and forth between saving jpeg and saving RAW + jpeg. Well now, after a bit of digging around, I have switched to just RAW. I have a Canon so the file extension is CR2.
As a simple image viewer/reviewer I use Irfanview which displays an image for the RAW file and of course displays the jpeg file. So for a while I have been reviewing 2 files for the same photo, and deleting 2 files each time. A bit silly really. But then I often find that I don’t want to/need to use the RAW file – I am often happy with the jpeg file the camera produces.
I have now investigated the batch processing of RAW files using ufraw-batch and decided that I can create jpeg files quickly and easily from the CR2 files.
It appears that the CR2 file contains an embedded jpeg file that can be extracted using ufraw-batch. I have a .bat file that I can drop into the directory that contains the CR2 files. The file contains the command
"C:/Program Files/ufraw/ufraw-batch.exe" --embedded-image *.CR2
This very quickly extracts the embedded image which is not high resolution but is adequate for cataloging purposes. The batch file couls also be used to rename all the extracted files but I have not seen a need for that yet.
There are many options availalbe for use in the ufraw-batch program. In fact I believe that you can do anything in the batch file that you can do in the ufraw GUI.
A simple batch file containing
"C:/Program Files/ufraw/ufraw-batch.exe" --wb=camera --exposure=auto --out-type=jpeg --compression=87 *.CR2
will create jpeg files for all the CR2 files in the directory where the camera settings are applied and the file size is close to what the camera would have produced. These settings can be changed to suit the CR2 files and the original shooting environment.
This is my first post to my new WordPress blog.
I will have to learn a few things before too long but this will do for now.